Monday, April 14, 2008

Happy first anniversary, my love

An hour ago, a year ago, a lifetime and a country's span ago, I married the love of my life and took his name because it was cooler than mine.

Because I love him so much, I want to share a story that illustrates the beautiful symbiosis of our life together.

In my Mr. Coffee, I brew ten cups of coffee with six heaping scoops of coffee grounds.

Sometimes, before I can get my first cup, Sir fills his coffee pot with about 12 large, heaping scoops of coffee, and using my coffee as water, brews himself a quadruple-strength cup of coffee. And when that doesn't get the job done, he pours it into his camp stove percolator with some more grounds, sets the heat on the stove to low, and cooks the coffee for three days until it becomes congealed, oily tar.

Pouring it into a cup, he sips, and declares it, "good."

Sir, you have enriched my life, given me wonderful things to write about, and made me feel like a queen.

No comments: